Friday, March 21, 2008

Pope Benedict XVI and Captain Robert Fitzroy of The Beagle



My thanks go to Captain Fitzroy for helping me to understand the mentality of the religiously certain. That insight has also helped me to understand and even to appreciate why my publisher, Harper-Collins, has decided to promote the upcoming release of the paperback version of my book Jesus for the Non-Religious as an alternative to the Pope's book Jesus of Nazareth. "The Pope," says the promotional blurb on the new paperback's cover, "describes the ancient traditional Jesus. John Shelby Spong brings us a Jesus by whom modern people can be inspired." I hope they are correct.




Bishop Shelby Spong has no truth that he has to deny in his defense of his faith.  Spong can meet the requirements of the modern world and bring a faith to the believer that does not demand incredible leaps of reason.  The Pope's new book can not make that claim.  He teaches the old beliefs and has nothing to say to those who know the facts of our world today. 

Tags: , ,





Powered by Qumana


No comments: